MSC Cruises, the Swiss-based world’s largest privately-owned cruise line and market leader in Europe, South America and South Africa, has today unveiled a comprehensive range of shoreside activities and services for guests. The company has debuted an industry-leading Port Info service on board MSC Meraviglia, allowing guests to discover and explore more of each destination through complimentary expert advice and information, and has also introduced a variety of new Mediterranean shore excursions to its already extensive offerings.
“Discovery is at the center of what we do. Being able to discover multiple destinations without having to repack a suitcase is the main reason that a cruise vacation is so attractive, and we are delighted to be enhancing exploration options for guests once they step ashore,” said Gianluca Suprani, Head of Global Port Development and Shore Side Activities. “Not only are we introducing new and exclusive shore excursions, but our new Port Info service is something truly ground-breaking, not offered as a complimentary service by any other cruise line.”
NEW Port Info Service
The introduction of a new, complimentary Port Info service offers guests a one-stop destination support service. Assisting guests in making the most of every itinerary destination, the Port Info desk will offer personal, tailored and expert information on what to see, where to eat, where to visit and how to get there. The desk will also help guests book local transportation such as train tickets, taxis or a car service, as well as assist in creating private tours and experiences. This is an especially invaluable service in countries where guests don’t speak the local language.
MSC Cruises has developed the service through collaboration with local authorities and tourism boards, ensuring guests receive the most accurate and up-to-date information, key local insights and ‘must-see’ attractions. Additionally, Port Info onboard crew members have been personally trained by local experts to be able to offer tailored information and advice from personal experience.
Port Info will also highlight local events, festivals and parades, allowing guests to discover local culture and traditions. Where possible, ship port times will be adjusted to allow enough time for guests to fully experience events and get the very most out of their stay.
The Port Info service debuted on board MSC Meraviglia when the ship launched in June, with plans to extend the service to the entire MSC Cruises fleet.
NEW Mediterranean Shore Excursions
To further enhance the discovery of destinations for guests, MSC Cruises has added 19 new shore excursions to its already comprehensive range of tours in the Mediterranean, including five of which are exclusive to MSC Cruises’ guests on board MSC Meraviglia. These excursions have been specially developed for families and food lovers, with something to suit all ages and allow guests to experience destinations on their cruise in new and exciting ways.
MSC Meraviglia Exclusive Shore Excursions:
- Tour Italy’s largest aquarium in Genoa for the perfect family day out. The tour gives guests a behind-the-scenes look at marine laboratories, plankton farming and jellyfish not usually accessible to the public.
- Relish Messina’s best sights including the magnificent Cristo Re Church, which towers over Messina’s harbor, “Piazza del Duomo,” and its golden Bell Tower, and the nearby Cathedral. Along the way, guests will have a chance to stop off at a number of small bars and restaurants to taste arancine (rice balls) and cannoli, a local pastry roll filled with sweet cream. The day will end with a little tipple of passito, a local sweet liquor wine made from raisins.
- Experience Italy like a local in Naples, with highlights of the city complemented by coffee, pastry and pizza. Guests will taste the freshest Neapolitan pizza in the San Gregorio Armeno region (known as the “street of the Nativity Scenes”), then stop to taste Scaturchio, the “sweet” of Naples, and the famous sfogliatella, a typical Neapolitan cake, before finishing the day off with an authentic Neapolitan coffee at the Gran Cafè Gambrinus.
- Savor a gastronomic delight In Barcelona, at the world’s first and only museum dedicated exclusively to Iberian ham where the tour, of course, ends in a tasting session.
- Enjoy the essence of Malta with local tastes and sights including a coach drive to Vittoriosa, one of the Three Historic Cities. Guests will stroll the narrow streets of the city and step back in history to the Church of St. Lawrence and Fort St. Angelo. Then, they will see Marsaxlokk, Malta’s largest fishing village, with a chance to peruse the local market and taste local snacks.
New Family Tours:
- Discover ancient Pompeii in Naples through an interesting and educational tour of the once thriving city frozen in time thousands of years ago after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Close the adventure with a fun question-and-answer game for the children.
- Walk barefoot at farm Villarè in Messina, famed for its barefoot path that lets visitors feel nature through five senses: Touch, Hearing, Smell, Sight and Taste. Guests end the tour with a tasting of organic and local products.
- Take to the hills at the highest point in Barcelona with enchanting, panoramic views, and then experience a thrill at the city’s only amusement park, Tibidabo Park, offering exciting Sky Walk rides and rollercoasters.
New Foodie Tours:
- Bake handmade pizza In Naples. Guests can enjoy one of the city’s best-kept secrets in the historical quarter — baking pizza on the city’s subterranean geothermal rock, hot enough to bake to perfection. The personal creation becomes lunch with the ability to taste some of the areas flavorsome ingredients.
- Sail along the scenic Maltese coastline in Malta passing much of Valletta’s iconic waterfront sights including its Cottonera area made up of Senglea, Cospicua and Vittoriosa — collectively known as The Three Cities. Finish with a treat for the taste buds with a unique wine-tasting session with a view.
To find out more information on the Port Info service and shore excursions visit https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/Excursions.aspx?utm_source=PressRelease&utm_campaign=PortInfoService